The human body often reacts harshly to overload and stress, especially after 30 years. The feeling of heaviness, acute back pain in the lumbar region are all stress symptoms or signals of the onset of serious pathologies, so you should not simply ignore them. Why does my back hurt and how to treat it?
The difficulty of accurate diagnosis lies in the fact that many diseases can manifest in this way, as well as can be a reaction of the body to various external and internal irritating factors.
Finding out why your back hurts and establishing the correct diagnosis will help in the accurate analysis of the symptoms, which are very different.
Where is the waist? This is an area of the spine that occupies the territory from the coccyx to the ribs, which contains many nerve endings and is divided into 2 halves by the spine.
To make an accurate diagnosis, it is necessary to assess the location of the unpleasant sensations:
- Above the waist, right or left - such a symptom can be an indicator of inflammation of internal organs: liver (on the right side) and kidneys (on the right or left just above the waist). They can also be caused by hepatitis, liver failure, polycystic ovary disease, cancer, pyelonephritis. In case of inflammation of the kidneys, the discomfort may radiate to the abdomen and hypochondrium.
- Below the waist - such symptoms characterize problems with the spine (lumbago, hernia, curvature), menstrual cramps and diseases of the genitals in women, intestines, inflammation of the appendix and genitourinary system in men.
Important! Unpleasant sensations in the spine can act as a result of inflammation in the body and serious problems.
It is also important to assess the nature of the painful sensations:
- The shooting is a symptom of a suppressed sciatic nerve. With inflammation of this nerve process in the spine, a burning sensation, shooting or tingling sensation appears, and their duration and strength may vary. They are especially aggravated by a change in body position, so a person can most often only stay in one position.
- Sharp pain in the lower back, most often shooting. In addition, a person experiences pulling sensations in the back area and cannot move normally, choosing a comfortable position. Such sensations may be symptoms of: diseases of the lungs and genitourinary system, displacement of the intervertebral discs, renal colic, muscle strain.
- Chronic - persistent discomfort in the back area, which disappears for a short time after taking sedatives, but then returns again. They indicate spondylosis, osteomyelitis, tumors and metabolic disorders.
- Pain in the lower back - appears suddenly, but persists for a long time. Weak painful sensations are symptoms of myositis, muscle overload or hypothermia;
- Displaced - occur with diseases of the colon, pelvic organs, pancreas or tumors.
Important! Significance in the lower back is also a symptom of the inflammatory process of internal organs or muscles.
It is urgent to consult a doctor if the back pain is localized in an area, is chronic and at the same time appears numbness and weakness in the limbs.
There are several groups of different causes that can cause back pain. They are divided into natural and pathological or acquired.
Natural ones include:
- serious physical exertion - due to the accumulation of lactic acid, muscle tissue loses elasticity and begins to swell;
- sedentary work - due to lack of movement and, as a result, circulatory disorders, aggravation appears in the lower back;
- interruptions in the digestive system, which may radiate to the spine;
- long stay in the cold - low temperature causes the vessels to shrink and slow down blood flow, which gives discomfort;
- stress - with this phenomenon, the muscles of the spine suffer spasms, causing a feeling of tightness and discomfort.
Pathological causes include:
- spinal diseases - negative processes in it lead to serious diseases, which are associated with constant discomfort;
- vascular disease and heart disease - if the cramps are concentrated in the shoulder area and below them, and are also accompanied by a feeling of squeezing, drop in pressure and shortness of breath, then these are symptoms of atherosclerosis and ischemia;
- inflammation of the sciatic nerve - if there is a sharp pain in the lower back and a person can only be in one position, it is very likely that this nerve has a cold;
- inflammation of the genitourinary system - nephritis, colpitis, endometritis and other diseases give swelling of their organs and tissues in the waist area;
- muscle inflammation;
- diseases of the bronchopulmonary system.
Important! Due to the different structure and properties of the body in women and men, back pain in them can be symptoms of completely different processes.
Back pain in men can be related to:
- renal pathologies;
- reproductive system problems;
- consequences of trauma.
Back pain in men over 35 is very common, as at this age they are at risk, therefore, with the slightest symptoms, you should contact the clinic. The risk group also includes men who:
- engage in physical work;
- lead a sedentary lifestyle;
- are overweight and have bad habits;
- have weak immunity.
Which doctor should be contacted in case of problems? First of all, to the therapist and he, after receiving the initial data and analysis, will send the patient to an infectologist, gastroenterologist, cardiologist, urologist, nephrologist, neuropathologist or proctologist.
Women also often have pain in the lower back, but the reasons for this can be completely different from those of men.
There is no single answer, it could be:
- Premenstrual syndrome or cramping during menstruation - due to delays, hormonal failure, uterine contractions, tension and swelling of the tissues of the genitourinary system, there is tension in the pelvis and back pain in the lumbar region.
- Pregnancy - due to the increase in body weight there is an increase in pressure in a woman's spine and this brings tension in the lower back in women. It should be mentioned that in the early stages, aggravation and pain in the lower back can be a signal of the threat of abortion, therefore, when it appears, consult a doctor immediately;
- After giving birth - if the girl before giving birth had problems with the spine, then after giving birth they do not disappear, but have the peculiarity, on the contrary, intensify due to the possible displacement of the vertebral discs or their compression.
- Gynecological diseases - pain in the lower back in women, which accompanies all inflammatory processes in the organs of the genitourinary system, appears regardless of the load. Because of them, there is aggravation and pain in the lower back. If there is acute pain in the lower back, it is a symptom of an ovarian rupture or an ectopic pregnancy.
- Problems with internal organs and spine.
The female risk group includes ladies who:
- have infections of the genitourinary system;
- the intestines are unstable;
- has tumor disease;
- sedentary work;
- complications after cooling;
- physiological changes;
- excessive physical activity;
- body weight gain;
- experience with epidural anesthesia in the past.
In addition to diseases and inflammatory processes in the body, there are a number of provocative factors that cause pain in the lower back:
- sedentary lifestyle and infrequent physical activity;
- excessive physical activity;
- Professional sports, bodybuilders, bodybuilders, weightlifters need to be especially careful.
If you are in one of the risk groups, you should exercise regularly under the supervision of a qualified trainer, as well as be monitored by a doctor, performing preventive actions aimed at preventing the occurrence of back problems.
If back problems have already appeared, then preventative actions will not help. You should consult a doctor, find out the exact cause and start treatment. You can use traditional medicine methods, or you can turn to traditional medicine, but any action must be agreed with your doctor. Which doctor should I contact? To begin, to the therapist and after the reasons are discovered - to a close specialist.
Traditional medicine involves the use of several methods of warfare:
- Massage - massaging a stiff back will help relieve tension and swelling. You can do self-massage, or you can contact a specialist, but only a proven one, so that he does not aggravate the problems that have already appeared.
- Exercise - Regular exercise and warm-up during the day are performed to relax the muscles and relieve muscle tension.
- Compresses - to ease tissue swelling, compresses should be made from cabbage, burdock leaves and plantain. After wearing them and wrapping your back with a warm scarf, you should lie down quietly for half an hour.
Traditional medicine can also be used as a prophylaxis to prevent serious problems. But if the back pain in the lumbar region increases, and massage, compresses and exercises do not bring relief, you should immediately consult a therapist.
Contacting a doctor
If the discomfort and pain in the lower back do not go away, and traditional medicine and massages do not help, how to treat it? First, you need to consult a therapist and find out their cause. For diagnosis, the spine is examined in several ways:
- X-rays were taken to check for injuries.
- Ultrasound examinations are performed to rule out diseases and inflammations of internal organs. CT MRI can also be performed for this purpose.
- General and biochemical analyzes.
- ECG and gastroscopy are performed to rule out heart disease and gastrointestinal tract disorders.
After establishing an accurate diagnosis, the patient is prescribed the appropriate treatment measures:
- problems with the spine, joints and muscles are treated with non-steroidal medications, therapeutic exercise courses and massage;
- cardiovascular diseases are treated by limiting physical activity and prescribing appropriate medications;
- diseases of the digestive tract imply adherence to a strict diet and courses of medication that envelop the intestines;
- Bronchopulmonary pathologies are treated with antibacterial and antiviral drugs;
- pelvic organ problems - antimicrobial agents and physiotherapy.
In addition, you should also deal with prevention:
- do not carry weight;
- always keep your back straight;
- sleep on a firm mattress;
- avoid hypothermia, stress and overeating;
- treat acute illnesses in a timely manner.
Back pain is easily prevented by timely prevention: a proper lifestyle, regular moderate exercise - all this will help prevent back problems and alleviate existing ones.